Themed Post: 2019


I can’t really remember what I was going to write before the protest started. This post specifically was supposed to be up the third weekend of October, right when everything began.
Now, and having past a month and a half, I would like to reflect on this year.

Throughout this year I’ve learned a lot of things, specially outside of University. It was a time to think about all the things I stopped doing when I started studying Psychology and get back into them. I did this as almost a favor to myself, since I had been so invested in my career and taking care of others, that I started to forget about me.

So, with that mindset my year began. I got back into painting, something that I never took seriously since I always thought I was not “good enough”. During summer I started a sketchbook and draw whatever I wanted, trying not to be harsh on myself. And it worked, that exercise gave me the confidence to take an Illustration class as an artistic elective at FAU. This was one of the best decisions of my year and I learned so much, mostly because I had to push myself since basically everyone in the class was a Graphic Design student on their last year.

The second half of the year I dedicated to return to my love for performing and making music, something I’m doing to this day. I started learning a new instrument and became familiarized with production and Digital Audio Workstation software.

Since the middle of October, I paused this kind of activities, mostly to protest in the streets and take care of my family and help in my community. Now I’m trying to put all my thoughts into art, and it’s been kind of hard. I guess I never imagined that I would be living some of the horrors that I studied in my classes about the Pinochet dictatorship. Now, seeing all the victims of police brutality and the transgression of fundamental human rights has not only made me incredibly angry, but also sorrowful. I just hope that all of this may not be in vain.

Comentarios

Entradas populares de este blog

Axolotls are fascinating!