My experience with the internet.

The internet it's one of those things that I don't really know if I could live without. Almost everything I do it's related to the internet in some way, and I hardly remember a time where I didn't have access to it.
The first time I had internet connection was in my dad's workplace, when I was about 6 years old. I was visiting him and he let me use his computer to draw on Paint and surf the web, specifically to play games on barbie.com. Later, when I was a bit older I used to visit my neighbor to play said games and many others. I didn't have internet access in my home till I was 8 or 10, and used the computer mainly to play games, but also visit some forums like musica.com, where I used to review music at the age of 11 (mostly My Chemical Romance and Panic! at the disco performances, which I bet were quite funny).
My computer was quite old and bulky, so when I started downloading music in Ares and chatting with friends through MSN it couldn't handle the amount of viruses I accidentally put in it and became so slow I couldn't visit any website.
Years passed and the amount of things I started doing in the internet kept growing, mostly because I got gifted a better laptop, which allowed me to install new softwares and, with the help of YouTube, I started learning about video editing and Photoshop. Also, with the help of the internet I've managed to learn how to play the guitar, ukulele, some piano, some new singing techniques, how to paint with watercolors, some color theory and being active on forums like Tumblr, Reddit and Discord has also help me with my english, to the point I only watch and read content in english (mostly because my favourite content creators are english speakers). Speaking of tumblr, I was very active in this platform in 2012-2013, making some great friends I still talk to and meeting my current boyfriend. It was a really fun time.
Right now I use the internet on the daily, mostly through my smart phone, to speak to my friends and boyfriend, to keep in touch with my university chores, to do research and investigate when I need to, but also to keep learning new and exciting things like playing the violin, which I'm trying to do by myself with the help of video tutorials. I'll try to keep you updated on this, now I'm playing horrible but in my defense it's been only a couple of weeks of practice.
If I have to be honest, I don't like being so dependent of my phone to connect with other people, and I miss those days when I was a kid and had to knock on my neighbor's door to talk to her. But on the other hand I've managed to acquire so much knowledge and do so much stuff through the internet that I can't imagine having the same abilities without it.


Comentarios

Entradas populares de este blog

Axolotls are fascinating!